Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Privacy Online & Off

 
Juan Enriquez compared our online presence to a digital tattoo.

Watching Juan Enriquez and Catherine Crump's TED Talks opened my eyes to how much of our personal data is constantly tracked and stored without our knowledge. 



I notice these privacy issues mostly through the ads I get on social media and the emails that show up in my inbox. Sometimes it feels like Instagram and YouTube know exactly what I've been looking at, even when I haven't searched for something recently.


Because of that, I try to be careful about my online privacy.


I use Safari as my main browser because I like its privacy features. I only use Chrome for certain things because I have an ad blocker on it, which makes the experience a little better. I also separate my email accounts depending on what they're used for. My iCloud email is for important and professional things, so I rarely get random emails there.


I have one Gmail account for things like YouTube, Canva, and other everyday websites. Then I have another Gmail account that is basically a burner account for random websites that require an email address. 


I honestly don't know if these privacy issues have affected me directly. What they have done is make me think more carefully about the information I share online and who has access to it.



My friends and family are probably affected in many of the same ways. Most people use social media, online shopping sites, and apps every day without really knowing how much information is being collected about them.


The scary part is that every click, search, and interaction becomes another data point. Over time, companies can build detailed profiles that reveal a lot about who we are and what we're interested in.





I think this is a difficult issue because there are legitimate reasons for the government to collect certain information. Data can help law enforcement investigate crimes and potentially prevent future ones.



At the same time, there has to be a limit.


Technology today allows governments and law enforcement agencies to collect much more information than they could in the past. Tools like cell tower dumps and automatic license plate readers can track where people have been and where they go. 



That raises concerns about privacy and civil liberties.


One thing that really bothers me is the idea that information can be collected and stored indefinitely just because it might be useful someday. Most people would never know where to look to find out what information has been collected about them. 


I think the government should be much more transparent about what data is being collected, how long it is stored, and who can access it. There should also be clear rules and stronger oversight to prevent surveillance tools from being abused. Public safety is important, but privacy matters too.



It is almost impossible to avoid data collection completely, but people can still take steps to protect themselves. One of the biggest things is simply sharing less information online. The less data that exists about you, the less there is for companies and organizations to collect.



People can also delete their browsing history and cookies on a regular basis. Using privacy-focused browsers, ad blockers, and strong privacy settings can make a difference as well.


It is also important to be careful with links and websites that seem untrustworthy. Clicking on the wrong link can expose personal information without you even realizing it. I think using separate email accounts for different purposes helps too. That is one of the reasons I keep my professional, personal, and burner accounts separate.




At the end of the day, awareness and sharing less information is probably the best defense.



The more people understand how their information is collected, analyzed, and shared, the better decisions they can make about protecting their privacy.


AI Disclosure: Copilot was used to help organize and structure my raw notes and thoughts into this final piece. All core ideas, perspectives, and final edits are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment